2008 POSTER DESIGN
Each year, Comité Noviembre commissions a Puerto Rican artist to design the annual poster to promote and inform the public about Puerto Rican Heritage Month and to create an artistic expression of the annual theme. The poster is distributed throughout New York, New Jersey and the tri-state area and it is the cover of the annual Journal Calendar of Events. The CN poster is in high demand by teachers and educators and the community and become collector’s items because of it limited edition status.
The annual theme is developed with the understanding that beyond celebrating our heritage, it must help to motivate, mobilize and empower our community around critical concerns. This year’s theme: Live your Culture?!Vive Boricua!, challenges us to take ownership of our culture and heritage. Being Puerto Rican is not just on special days, or months, but every day of our lives. Everyday as a community, we contribute to the fabric of this city, state and nation. The theme addresses the importance of our achievements as a community and the impact it has had and will continue to have on society. The theme seeks to challenge us to learn about our pioneers, feel proud of who we are and where we come from and commit ourselves to promote and teach others about our culture, traditions, heroes and the great contributions Puerto Ricans have made to this country.
• Artist must be Puerto Rican or of Puerto Rican descent.
• Artist must be able to work with members of CN towards the creation of the final piece.
• Artist must be able to work under tight deadlines.
• Artist must be present at unveiling of Poster at CN kick-off event in late October
• Artist must write a description of the poster connecting his visual concept to CN’s theme
• Artist must submit the following information:
• A complete full color, 24? x 36? concept portraying artistic expression of the theme for the poster.
• Address, phone, cell and e-mail address
• Examples of previous work. Please do not send framed work. Work will NOT be mailed back, but you can arrange for pick up.
• Emailing/Electronic submission of work is preferred.
• All information must be submitted at the same time by: Wednesday, September 10, 2008
• Finalist will be notified by Friday, September 12, 2008.
• Finalist will be interviewed on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 between the hours of 6-8 pm., at El Museo del Barrio in Manhattan.
• $1,000 stipend for work selected by Comité Noviembre
• The artwork and biography of artist will be printed in the annual Calendar of Events, and other venues such as El diario la prensa and Daily News, if available.
• Poster design will be distributed to schools and organizations for Puerto Rican Heritage Month in November.
PLEASE SEND COMPLETE PACKAGE TO:
LILI SANTIAGO-SILVA, COMITÉ NOVIEMBRE C/O: EL MUSEO DEL BARRIO
1230 5TH AVENUE (AT 104TH STREET) NEW YORK, NY 10029, (212) 660-7132, LSSILVA@ELMUSEO.ORG